Thursday, March 15, 2012

Life in The 'Lodge

Winter is passing here in northern Alberta, and the first signs of spring have appeared. The snow is disappearing, the sun is getting warmer, and the days are growing longer. The winter has been eventful, though, with lots to keep us busy.

Lately, I have taken up ice skating. This is a HUGE departure from my normal routine, as I essentially gave up on skating when I was in grade 2 or grade 3. Aya has been learning to skate (she's taking skating classes at the skating rink next door), and she has been doing really well. Since I believe it is embarrassing for a 5 year old girl to skate better than her father, I bought a pair of ice skates for $5 at the thrift shop, and have taken advantage of the free weekend skating here in Beaverlodge. It's been lots of fun skating with Aya and Shelley, although my feet do cramp up just like they did all those years ago.

I have also been climbing a lot, which is a nice change. The climbing gym in Grande Prairie is quite good, although small, and I've been climbing there twice weekly. I am trying to get in shape for the summer climbing season. I have a lot more to say about my climbing on my climbing blog at http://theclimbinglife.blogspot.com/

Shelley's work has been progressing very well, and she has been travelling to a lot of conferences and meetings in western Canada. When spring arrives, she is going to be a LOT busier as beekeeping season starts. It is fortunate that we live so close to the research station where she works - her commute takes only a few minutes.

Aya is enjoying school, and has made a lot of friends. Aya and her best friend Juliett are inseparable, and Juliett's parent's Eriko and Colin have become good friends of ours. We are especially thankful for Eriko - she is a great source of entertainment and amazing home-made bagels!

Shelley and I have both had exciting papers published this winter. Shelley's new paper on how global warming will change how bees pollinate flowers was published in the extremely prestigious journal Ecology Letters, while my paper describing how hydrodynamics influence stream food webs was published in the new journal Limnology and Oceanography: Fluids and Environments. You can read the abstracts for the two papers here and here.

Or if the link doesn't work, go here...
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1461-0248.2011.01729.x/abstract;jsessionid=A1733B771ADA19CF3339A4E002C35D2D.d03t01?systemMessage=Wiley+Online+Library+will+be+disrupted+17+March+from+10-14+GMT+%2806-10+EDT%29+for+essential+maintenance&userIsAuthenticated=false&deniedAccessCustomisedMessage=

and here...http://lofe.dukejournals.org/content/1/147.full

No comments:

Post a Comment